Shockwave Therapy allows for acoustic waves to trigger biological effects which lead to faster and long-term healing and rejuvenation of the tissue.
This multi-disciplinary device is used in physiotherapy, sports medicine and orthopedics. It is primarly used for fast pain relief and restoring mobility. This non-surgical therapy means the patient has no need for pain killers.
It is ideal therapy to speed up recovery and cure various indicators causing acute or chronic pain.
The acoustic wave carries high energy to painful spots and musculoskeletal tissues with subacute, sub chronic and chronic conditions. The energy promotes regeneration and reparative processes of the bones, tendons and other soft tissues.
The kinetic energy of the projectile, created by compressed air, is transferred to the transmitter at the end of the applicator and further into the tissue.
The shockwave therapy known also as extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) is a noninvasive treatment—it mainly works as delivering shock waves to injured soft tissues to reduce pain and promote healing. These are the organized and keenly crafted acoustic waves by the shockwave that triggers biological effects ultimately helping long term and faster regeneration & healing of tissues.
Revital Health is a trusted organization that implements shockwave therapy for an immense range of muscle movement and tissue relevant problems. Our shockwave therapy for tennis elbow is result oriented and soothing to patient. Whether a patient require shockwave therapy for Achilles tendonitis or shockwave treatment for plantar fasciitis, our therapists are here to provide results.How does Shockwave therapy Works?
Osteoblasts are cells in the body that are responsible of bone healing and for new bone production—shockwave are responsible for stimulating these osteoblasts cells ultimately helping in relief and improvement. Shockwaves likewise stimulates fibroblasts; these cells are responsible for healing connective tissues such as tendons.Mechanisms
The shockwave therapy diminishes pain by certain mechanisms;
- Gate-control Mechanism
- Hyperstimulation Anesthesia
- Mechanical Pressure & Tension Force
In this mechanism, the recalibration of pain’s perception is stimulated in the local nerves, thus resulting in longer-term reduction in pain.Hyperstimulation Anesthesia
A hefty number of stimuli overwhelms the local nerve endings so their activity diminishes resulting in short-term reduction in pain.Mechanical Pressure & Tension Force
The cell membrane permeability is thereby shown to be increased by mechanical pressure and tension force due to shockwave therapy—ultimately resulting in increase in microscopic circulation, thus in the designated area, the metabolism is improved. Altogether, the phenomena promotes healing and calcific/toxic deposits are dissolved.General Procedure
After the physiotherapist has verified the source of the complaint and that shockwave therapy is the best treatment option,
- Particular kind of gel is given to the uncomfortable region.
- The Shockwave device is then employed.
- A compressor drives a fast-moving pellet in the handpiece.
- This projectile delivers energy to the applicator, which generates radial shockwaves that propagate through the body and are absorbed.
- The waves' frequency and pressure are adjustable and therapists sets it accordingly.
- The patient is relaxed meanwhile the session.
- The shockwave treatment session generally lasts for around 8 to 10 minutes only.
- Shockwave therapy at Revital Health is always combined with exercise, manual therapy or other physiotherapy techniques.
After the treatment session, the patient is also given some physical moment training or certain exercise to practice at home.Benefits of Shockwave Therapy
Shockwave therapy has a versatile range of benefits to the body—it combines with other techniques to give a soothing effect to a variety of spots in the body and eliminate a ton of dysfunctionalities. At Revital Health we are determined to provide relief through our professional shockwave therapy sessions aligned with other mode of therapies as well.
- Several researchers have documented effective findings when employing shock waves to treat these disorders, which were first described in 1996.
- In 2000, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the use of shock waves for the treatment of plantar fasciitis.
Shockwave Therapy (SWT) is used to treat a number of musculoskeletal diseases, notably those involving medium to large tendons and their insertions on bone, such as:
- Retrocalcaneal Bursitis
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tendonopathy
- Lateral Epicondylosis (Tennis Elbow)
- Patellar Tendinosis (Jumper’s Knee)
- Medial Epicondylosis (Golfer’s Elbow)
- Calcific Tendonitis (supraspinatus tendon, etc.)
- Morton’s Neuroma
- Chronic Stress/Non-union Fractures
High energy SWT or "real" shockwaves are defined as short (10msec) high energy pulses (5-100MPa) that breach the sound barrier, resulting in a shockwave. At Revital Health high intensity shockwave technique directs the shockwave straight through the injured tissue, resulting in a variety of effects;
- A "cavitation bubble" is a tiny empty cavity formed behind a pressure front. When the bubbles collapse, a force is created that has a mechanical influence on the treated tissue. This force contributes to the breakdown of calcific deposits lodged in injured tissue.
- Shockwaves activate osteoblasts, which are cells that are responsible for bone repair and new bone formation.
- Shockwaves activate fibroblasts, which are cells responsible for connective tissue mending such as tendons.
Shockwaves can be of different types, helping the patient in according ways—there are certainly a few diversions of shockwave therapies depending on the categories of acoustic waves. These are;
- Focused Shockwave Therapy (FSWT)
- Radial Shockwave Therapy (RSWT)
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT)
Focused Shockwave Therapy (FSWT) is used in more acute cases as compared to radial shockwave therapy. FSWT is less painful and has a focused stream of shockwave towards to effected point. On the other hand, Radial shockwave therapy is delivered over larger area, it is generally very viable to treat chronic conditions. Extracorporeal shock wave treatment (ESWT) induces microtrauma using pneumatic (pressurized air) technology.